Defending the rights of the accused;
Preserving the rights of us all.
Position Title: Assistant Public Defender
Annual Salary Range: $44,000 plus benefits
Geographic Location: Bartow, Florida
Starting Date: immediately
Summary of Duties: Prepares cases for defense of indigent persons charged with criminal offenses; interviews clients and prospective witnesses; prepares or oversees the drafting of briefs, memoranda, pleadings, and other legal papers; conducts legal research; represents misdemeanor, felony, or juvenile clients in court arraignments, pre-trial hearings, trials, dispositions, and other proceedings; interviews clients in custody and makes initial decisions concerning such things as bail, release from custody, and mental competency to stand trial; determines need for expert witnesses; locates appropriate experts and schedules them for trial if needed; performs related work as required.
• Experience preferred but not required
• Must be an active member and in good standing with The Florida Bar
• Must be willing to reside in the 10th Circuit within a reasonable time of accepting employment
• Good knowledge of criminal law and procedure
• Good knowledge of the principles, methods, and practices of legal research and investigation
• Good knowledge of judicial procedures and the Rules of Evidence
• Good knowledge of the pleading and practice of effective presentation of court cases
• Ability to analyze legal documents and instruments
• Ability to appraise and organize facts to present evidence and other material in written and oral form
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with prosecutors, judges, and other professionals, as well as clients and the general public
• Good skills in conducting legal research and analysis of data
• Good skills in determining proper courses of action and presentation of facts and arguments
• Ability to manage a high volume caseload while maintaining adequate levels of communication and attention to individual clients.
• Ability to make regularly scheduled court appearances; conduct case evaluation, investigation and preparation including but not limited to witness interviews, legal research, motion preparation, and related work as required; provide qualified and approved substitute counsel when unable to make regularly scheduled court appearances. Occasional unscheduled matters may arise
• Ability to recognize potential conflicts of interest requiring recusal
• Basic computer skills